Monday, September 28, 2009

Choo Choo Two

(Written Saturday, September 26th)

“Let’s see…if going south on the Minnesota side, we want to sit on the…left side of the train,” a noisy woman who just may know it all said to her quiet husband as they passed me in the dining car. It’s 7:35am and I’m on the train again. Destination: unknown.

Just kidding. I’m going to La Crosse.

The sun is nauseatingly beautiful this morning, and even though it’s getting in my eyes, the orange haze it’s casting all over the dome car (or dining car, viewing deck, whatever) makes the low number on my watch and the slight headache I’m experiencing worth it.

A six-year-old girl came and sat across from me as her mom went to go get some juice for breakfast. She gave me a play-by-play on the size, color, and shape of the Froot Loops she was eating one by one out of a Tupperware container. She also told me that she wanted to guess my age, and when she did, she guessed 40. 

As a 21-year-old, I can’t say I’ve ever experienced that. 

4 comments:

  1. I love that story! FORTY! Hahahahaha!!!!

    Was the woman in the green shirt in the first photo the woman that 'just may know it all'? Okay, I'm judging from appearances here, but even from behind she looks like a person that thinks she knows it all....

    'Nauseatingly' beautiful? Is that possible? Or was it your goal to use two oxymorons in this entry?

    You! Forty! It still makes me giggle!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, the woman who knew it all was sitting across from the man in the white sweatshirt with the red polo underneath (behind the guy with the big hair).

    yes, nauseatingly beautiful is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I like "nauseatingly beautiful" and "orange haze" together. Creative, I'd say.

    Heheh, who knows, maybe BOTH of those women thought they knew it all.

    I know it all.

    Oh, and I laughed endlessly when I heard the 40 story!! When you're a child, everyone older than you just seems OLD, the same age. It's still hard for me to guess the age of people 10 years older than me and up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liking the on-board train shots. It makes me want to ride along with you on your way back to the 'Cities! How 'bout the next time you're down?!???! I promise I'll be good.

    You should have asked the know it all lady "if a tree falls in the woods and there's no one to hear it...."

    Or maybe she could provide the definitive answer to the age-old "what came first the chicken or the egg" question. Opportunity missed.

    More train pictures, please!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete